Setup the Workbook
The first thing we need to do is set up the workbook with the necessary sheets and a list of the teams who will be competing in the league.
Inserting the Required Sheets
The workbook will need the following sheets:
- Team Sheets - Store the fixtures and results for each team
- Fixture Grid - A grid showing all the results from the League season.
- Data - Stores the number of points earned for a win or draw during the season, and the list of teams in the league
- Calculations - Used to calculate the league position of each team from their results on the relevant team sheets
- League Table - Shows the league table from the data calculated on the Calculations sheet
The cells where the results will be entered are formatted in a text format. The results should be entered in a #-# format e.g. 3-1
Download the EnglishPremierLeague1.1.xlsx workbook for a finished copy with the sheets and data already in place.
Setting up the Team List
To make data entry easier when inputting the names of the teams on each sheet, I created a Custom List with the names of each team competing in the league this season.
To create a Custom List;
- Enter the names of each team in a list on the Data sheet
- Click the Office Button > Excel Options
- Click the Edit Custom Lists button found in the Popular category
- Select the range of cells containing the list of teams on the Data sheet and click Import
- Click Ok and then Ok again
Popular Excel Tips