Using Headers and Footers
Headers and footers allow you to add information to appear at the top (Header) and bottom (Footer) of every page of a Word document. Popular uses include inserting page numbering, filename and path and the authors name.
Headers and footers can be added to different pages of a document by using sections.
Insert a Header and Footer
- Click the Insert tab on the Ribbon
- Click the Header or Footer button in the Header & Footer group
- Click on one of the header or footers in the list, or click Edit Header or Edit Footer to be taken to the header or footer area
- Enter the text you want to use for your header or footer
- Click the Close Header and Footer button on the Design tab to return to the document
The Print Layout view is shown and you are taken to the appropriate area. The Design contextual tab appears under Header and Footer Tools on the Ribbon allowing you to easily insert and format header and footer content.
Insert Page Numbers
The most popular reason for using footers in a document is to insert page numbering.
- Click inside the footer where you want to add the page numbering
- Click the Page Number button in the Header & Footer group of the Design tab under Header and Footer Tools on the Ribbon
- Selection the position and style of numbering you want to use
Insert the Date and Time
The date and time can be inserted into a header or footer. The date can be set to update automatically or remain fixed.
- Click inside the header or footer where you want to add the date and/or time
- Click the Date & Time button in the Insert group of the Design tab under Header and Footer Tools on the Ribbon
- Select the date and time format you want to use
- Optionally check the Update automatically checkbox
- Click Ok
Setting a Different First Page
It is possible to display a different header and footer on the first page, or even remove it completely.
The first page of a document may be a cover page and page numbering etc is not a requirement.
Click the Different First Page checkbox in the Options group of the Design tab under Header and Footer Tools on the Ribbon
Save a Header or Footer
Headers and footers can be saved for use in future documents. This can help ensure consistency across all company documentation and also save a lot of time
- Select everything in the header or footer
- Click the Header or Footer button on the Design tab under Header & Footer Tools on the Ribbon
- Click the Save Selection to Header Gallery or Save Selection to Footer Gallery option
- Type a Name for the header or footer
- Click Ok
The saved header or footer will appear at the bottom of the gallery when inserting a header or footer to a document.