Checking Spelling and Grammar
Microsoft Word makes it easy to check that your document is spelt correctly and uses good grammar. You can either correct the spelling as you type, or run the Spelling and Grammar check at any time while producing your document.
Running the Spelling and Grammar Check
The Spelling and Grammar check looks at all the text in the document and suggests corrections to misspelt words, and allows the adding of words to the dictionary.
- Click the Spelling and Grammar button in the Proofing group of the Review tab
- If Word discovers an error, the Spelling and Grammar dialogue box appears. The error appears in the text box at the top with suggestions below it
- When the Spelling and Grammar check is complete, a dialogue box appears
- Click Ok
Take the required action by using the buttons on the right of the dialogue box as explained in the table below.
Accepts the spelling or grammar used and moves onto the next error
|Ignore All/Ignore Rule||
Accepts the spelling or grammar used and ignores all future occurences of it in the document
Skips the grammar error and moves onto the next one
|Add to Dictionary||
Adds the word to the dictionary so that it is recognised in the future
Changes the spelling of the word to the suggestion selected in the list
Changes all occurences of the misspelling to the suggestion selected in the list
Check Spelling and Grammar as you Type
Word 2007 checks for spelling and grammar errors whilst you type. Spelling errors are underlined in red and grammar errors are underlined in green.
This feature makes it easy to recognise errors and correct them on the move.
- Right click on the error
- A shortcut menu appears offering suggestions to the error
- Select the required change. Word corrects the text and removes the red or green underline
Turn On the Spelling and Grammar Checker
The Spelling and Grammar checker is turned on by default. There may be times when you will want to turn this feature on or off.
- Click the Office button and click Word Options
- Select the Proofing section from the menu on the left
- Tick or untick the Check spelling as you type and Mark grammar errors as you type boxes to turn the features on or off