You are not limited to the symbols and characters of the keyboard you are using. Microsoft Word is capable of inserting other special symbols such as accented characters and copyright.
- Place the insertion point where you want to insert the symbol
- Click the Symbol button in the Symbols group of the Insert tab
- Browse the different symbols by changing the options in the Font: and Subset boxes
- Select the symbol you want to use and click Insert
- The Symbol dialogue box remains open for you to add further symbols. Click Close when finished
A list of frequently used symbols is shown. Select the symbol you want to use or click More Symbols to open the Symbol dialogue box
If you know the character code for a symbol, you can insert the symbol by entering its character code i.e. 002A and then press Alt + X to produce *.