Use Track Changes
Track changes enables a document to be reviewed by others easily. All changes made such as additions, deletions and formatting are tracked. These changes are highlighted for the author to see what changes were made.
The author maintains control over what changes are kept in the final version by accepting or rejecting the changes. The changes, known as markup, must be accepted or rejected to be removed from the document.
Turn On Track Changes
- Click the Review tab on the Ribbon
- Click the Track Changes button in the Tracking group
- Any changes now made to the document will be highlighted. The markup will be shown inline or as balloons
The button is highlighted to indicate that track changes is turned on
The document can now be sent to whomever is to review the document
Change How the Tracked Changes are Displayed
By default, all inserted text and deleted text is displayed inline and formatting changes are shown using balloons.
You can change the way the markup in a document is displayed, change the colour of the revisions and even hide the markup in a document.
Show Changes in Balloons
- Click the Balloons button in the Tracking group
- Choose to show all the revisions inline, all the revisions in balloons or only comments and formatting using balloons
Display or Hide the Markup
Hiding the markup in a document does not remove it. The markup can still be seen when viewed on other peoples machines or when printed. To remove the revisions they need to be accepted or rejected.
- Click the Display for Review list arrow in the Tracking group
- Select the view option you want to use
Display or Hide Specific Markup Items
Aswell as choosing to display or hide all the markup in the document. You can also display or hide specific markup items such as insertions, deletions and formatting.
- Click the Show Markup button in the Tracking group
- Select the required markup items to display or hide them