Columns are used to easily create newsletter style documents. They can be applied to the whole document, or to specific pages or parts of a page.
If you want to apply columns to only parts of a page, or certain pages, select the required paragraphs for formatting first
Format the Page into Columns
- Click the Columns button on the Standard toolbar
- Select the number of columns you want to create and click
- Click Format > Columns
- Select the number of columns you want to use, or enter the number in the Number of columns box
- Check the Line between: box to insert a line down the page between the columns
- Use the
Width and spacing: panel to specify the width of the columns and adjust the spacing between them. By default the Equal column width check box is always checked
- Ensure the Apply to: box is set appropriately. Columns can be applied to the whole document or to a section within the document
Insert a Column Break
Column breaks are used to move text onto the next column. They can be useful to create space for quotation boxes and pictures.
- Click in the document by the text you want to move onto the next column
- Click Insert > Breaks
- Select Column from the list
- Click Ok
The column break is inserted and the text moved to the next column
The Ctrl + Shift + Enter keyboard shortcut can also be used to insert column breaks.