Apply Bullets and Numbering
Bullets and numbering can be applied to paragraphs in Microsoft Word to create an ordered or unordered list. The list is intelligent, creating new bullets or numbers when paragraphs are created, deleted or moved.
Apply Automatic Bullets and Numbering
Microsoft Word will automatically apply bullets or numbering to paragraphs if it thinks you are creating a list.
- Type an * followed by a space for bullet points, or a number followed by a full stop and a space for numbering
- Type the text required for the first list item
- Press Enter
- Press Enter twice to finish the list
Word will automatically apply bullets or numbering to the paragraph of text and to the following paragraph
If you do not want to create a list, click on the smart tag icon that appears when the list is created and select Stop Automatically Creating Bulleted/Numbered Lists.
Create a Bulleted or Numbered List
You can apply bullets and numbering to existing paragraphs of text.
- Select the paragraphs of text you want to format
- Click the Bullets button or Numbering button
Bullets or numbering is applied to the paragraphs. Press Enter to start a new paragraph and the next bullet or number
To remove a bullet or numbering from a paragraph, click in the paragraph and click the Bullets or Numbering button