Format Painter is a brilliant tool found inside all Microsoft Office applications. Use the Format Painter in Word 2003 to copy formatting from existing text to another piece of text. This can ensure consistency of formatting throughout a document and save a lot of time.
- Select the text with the formatting you want to copy
- Click the Format Painter button on the Standard toolbar
- Select the text you want to copy the formatting to
- The formatting is applied and the Format Painter is turned off.
To apply the formatting to more than one piece of text in a document:
- Select the text with the formatting you wish to copy
- Double click the Format Painter button
- Select the text you wish to copy the formatting to
- The Format Painter remains on after applying the formatting, so you may continue to apply the formatting to other items of text
- Click the Format Painter button, or press Esc to turn it off