Work in Outline View
Outline View only shows the text in the document that is formatted using a heading style. This makes it easy to view the structure of a document.
Outline View also enables you to promote, demote and rearrange the headings of a document. This make it easy to change the structure of a document without the need to cut and paste pages of text, or find and format different heading styles.
View a Document in Outline View
- Click View > Outline
- Click the Outline View button on the Status Bar next to the horizontal scroll bar
- The document is displayed in Outline View and the Outline toolbar is shown
Show and Hide Outline Levels
- Click the Show Level list arrow on the Outline toolbar to select the levels you want to show
- Select Level 1 to see only the top level headings, or select Level 3 to see the top 3 heading levels
This allows you to hide the body text of a document so that you can work on the structure of the document a little easier
Promote and Demote Headings
Outline View can be used to promote a heading style to a higher level, and demote a heading style to a lower level.
- Click the Promote button to promote a heading
- Click the Demote button to demote a heading
Outline View enables you to rearrange large blocks of text easily by moving the headings. When you move a heading in Outline View, Word moves all the content below it aswell until the next heading of that level.
- Hide all the headings below the heading you are going to move prior to moving. If not the subheadings will not move with the heading
- Select the heading you want to move
- Click the Move Up or Move Down buttons until it is in the required position