Insert Footnotes and Endnotes
Insert footnotes and endnotes to add additional information about a topic in the text of a document. Footnotes appear at the bottom of the page and endnotes appear at the end of the document.
Footnotes and endnotes consist of two parts. A note reference mark such as a superscripted number or symbol appears next to the text, and note text appears at the bottom of the page (footnote), or end of the document (endnote).
Insert a Footnote or Endnote
- Click in the document next to the text where you want the note reference mark to appear
- Click Insert > Reference > Footnote
- Select the Footnotes: or Endnotes: option button
- Format the numbering of the footnote or endnote using the settings in the Format panel
- Click Insert
- Type in the note text you want to use
The note reference mark is inserted and you are taken to the note text area at the bottom of the page or end of the document
Note text can also be seen as a screentip when you hover your mouse over the note reference mark. This saves potentially scrolling to the end of the document to see the note text.
Delete a Footnote or Endnote
- Select the note reference mark
- Press Delete