Saving a Presentation
It is good practice to save a presentation as soon as you can, and then to regularly save it to protect against data loss.
To save the presentation:
- Click the Save button on the Quick Access Toolbar or press Ctrl + S
- Select a location to save the presentation in, and an appropriate name which will make recognising this presentation easy in the future, and click Save.
The Title Bar now displays the name of the presentation.
From now on whenever you save the presentation, Excel will update the presentation previously saved.
If you are saving the presentation for the first time, the Save As dialogue box will appear.
Saving as a previous version of PowerPoint
PowerPoint 2007 presentations use a different file format to previous versions of PowerPoint. This can cause some compatibility issues when users of previous versions open PowerPoint 2007 presentations.
It is possible to save the presentation in the 97-2003 file format so that it is more widely compatible.
- Click the Office Button > Save As > PowerPoint 97-2003 Presentation
- The Save As dialogue box will appear as before. Select a location to save the presentation in, enter an appropriate name and click Save.
- When saving a presentation in a previous format the Compatibility Checker will identify any potential problems.
In the example below it has identified the use of SmartArt within the presentation. It warns us that SmartArt cannot be edited in earlier versions of PowerPoint.
You have the option to either continue or to cancel the save.
Once saved, the Compatibility Checker can be run at anytime. Click the Office Button, Prepare and then Run Compatibility Checker.