Modifying Master Slides
You can insert multiple slide masters into one presentation and delete, rename, preserve and change the layout of the master slides.
The Slide Master Ribbon tab
Slide Master modifications are best made using the Slide Master tab on the Ribbon. The tab should be displayed automatically when viewing the Slide Master.
Change the Slide Master layout
Each Slide Master includes placeholders for titles, text and other content, date, slide number and the footer. You can arrange the placeholders on the Slide Master as required for the layout you want.
You can delete placeholders from the Slide Master if no longer needed, and insert placeholders to create your own Layout. To insert or restore a Slide Master placeholder:
- Click either the Title or Footers check box in the Master Layout group
Click the Insert Placeholder button in the Master Layout group and select a placeholder from the list
If you want to create a new Master Layout for the slides of your presentation, click the Insert Layout button in the Edit Master group of the Ribbon, and insert and arrange the placeholders as required.
Insert a Slide Master
When you insert a Slide Master they are displayed to the left side of the Themes gallery on the Design tab.
The design can then be applied to the slides of your presentation when working in Normal view.
To insert a new Slide Master to the presentation:
- Click the Insert Slide Master button in the Edit Master group.
Delete a master
If no longer needed, master slides can be deleted. To delete a master slide:
- Select the master slide you want to delete
- Click the Delete Slide button in the Edit Master group
If you delete a Slide Master, all the layout masters are also deleted
Any presentation slides that were using the deleted master slide are reformatted with the theme of the slides that preceded them in the presentation
Preserve your Slide Master
If all the slides that use a particular Slide Master are deleted, or have a different theme applied to them, the Slide Master is deemed no longer necessary and is subsequently deleted from the presentation.
To ensure that a Slide Master is not removed from a presentation, it can be preserved
- Select the Slide Master you want to preserve
- Click the Preserve button in the Edit Master group
- A pin symbol appears beside the Slide Master thumbnail on the left to indicate that the Slide Master is preserved. It will no longer be removed, even if all the slides of the presentation that use it are deleted
Click the Preserve button again to unpreserve a Slide Master
Rename a Slide Master
You may want to rename your Slide Master so that it can be easily identified in the Themes gallery when required.
- Select the Slide Master you want to rename
- Click the Rename button in the Edit Master group
- Enter the new name for the Slide Master
- Click Rename
Layout masters can also be renamed