Modifying Master Slides
You can insert multiple slide masters into one presentation and delete, rename, preserve and change the layout of the master slides.
The Slide Master View toolbar
Slide Master modifications are best made using the Slide Master View toolbar. The toolbar should be displayed automatically when viewing the Slide Master.
Change the Slide Master layout
Each Slide Master includes a title, text, date, slide number and footer placeholder. You can arrange the placeholders on the Slide Master as required for the layout you want.
You can delete placeholders from the Slide Master if no longer needed. To restore a Slide Master placeholder:
- Click the Master Layout button on the Slide Master View toolbar
- Click the boxes for the placeholders you want to restore
- Click Ok
Click Format > Master Layout
Insert a Slide Master
When you insert a Slide Master or apply a different design template they are displayed in the Used in this Presentation section of the Slide Design task pane.
The design can then be applied to the slides of your presentation when working in Normal view.
To insert a new Slide Master to the presentation:
- Click the Insert New Slide Master button on the Slide Master View toolbar
Delete a master
If no longer needed, master slides can be deleted. To delete a master slide:
- Select the master slide you want to delete
- Click the Delete Master button on the Slide Master View toolbar
If you delete a Slide Master, the Title Master is also deleted
Click Edit > Delete Master
Any presentation slides that were using the deleted master slide are reformatted with the template of the slides that preceded them in the presentation
Preserve your Slide Master
If all the slides that use a particular Slide Master are deleted, or have a different template applied to them, the Slide Master is deemed no longer necessary and is subsequently deleted from the presentation.
To ensure that a Slide Master is not removed from a presentation, it can be preserved
- Select the Slide Master you want to preserve
- Click the Preserve Master button on the Slide Master View toolbar
- A pin symbol appears beside the Slide Master thumbnail on the left to indicate that the Slide Master is preserved. It will no longer be removed, even if all the slides of the presentation that use it are deleted
Click the Preserve Master button again to unpreserve a Slide Master
Rename a Slide Master
You may want to rename your Slide Master so that it can be identified easily in the Slide Design task pane when required.
- Select the Slide Master you want to rename
- Click the Rename Master button on the Slide Master View toolbar
- Enter the new name for the Slide Master
- Click Ok
Click Edit > Rename Master
When naming a Slide Master, the Title Master is automatically renamed