Add Video to a Presentation
Video clips can be inserted into a presentation and then played in Slide Show View. The standard file format for video in PowerPoint is .AVI (Audio Video Interleaved).
Other video formats available for use in PowerPoint include .WMA, .MPEG, .MOV and .MID to name a few. DVD's cannot be played in a presentation without the use of other third party software.
Insert a video clip
- Select the slide that you want to add the video to
- Click Insert > Movies and Sounds > Movie from File
- Click the Look in: drop down box and select the drive and folder the movie file is located
- Select the movie file and click Ok
- Click Automatically to have the video start playing as soon as the slide is shown to the audience
A PowerPoint message box appears asking when you would like the video to start playing
Click When Clicked to maintain control over the playing of the video. The video will only start playing when you click the mouse or the appropriate keyboard key
The movie is inserted onto the slide.
Another way of using video in a presentation is to link to the video using an action button or hyperlink and play the movie in third party software such as Windows Media Player
This provides greater functionality over the video, however will not be as reliable when delivering presentations on other sites.
Resize a video clip
The video clip is inserted as an object. It can then be moved and resized as you would with other objects such as images. However it is important to resize the video to scale for best results.
- Select the video object you want to resize
- Clip and drag its resizing handles to the desired positions
To ensure best scale for the presentation:
- Click Format > Picture
- Click on the Size tab of the Format Picture dialogue box
- Click the Best scale for slide show check box
- Click the Reset button and then click Ok