Export Text and Slides to Word
PowerPoint has a built in feature for exporting data to Microsoft Word. You can export the presentation's slides or just the text. If exporting the slides the data can be linked, ensuring the Word document updates automatically when changes are made to the presentation's slides.
Send to Microsoft Word
- Click File > Send To > Microsoft Office Word
- Select one of the first four options to export the slides with either notes text or blank lines
- If you have chosen to export the presentations slides, you can select Paste Link to link the slides between the files. Any changes made to the presentation slides are automatically updated. However, new slides added to the presentation are not added to the Word document.
- Click Ok
- Microsoft Word is started and the data is sent to the document. The document can now be formatted further, saved and printed as necessary.
Select Outline Only to export only the slides text
Export to Word using OLE
PowerPoint data can also be sent to Word using OLE. I like this approach as the presentation can be displayed as a PowerPoint icon. A much more subtle approach and ideal for documents such as project reports.
- From Windows Explorer, select the presentation file you wish to export
- Copy the presentation using the Copy button or press Ctrl + C
- Open the Word document you want to import the presentation into
- Click Edit > Paste Special
- Select Files from the list of file formats
- Click Paste to embed the PowerPoint file into the document
- Click the Display as icon checkbox
- Optionally, click the Change icon button to modify the icon or caption used in the document
- Click Ok
- The presentation is inserted into the Word document. If you double click on the icon, the presentation is run in a full screen slide show
Click Paste link to establish a link between the two files
Press Esc to exit the slide show