Slicers provide a user friendly way of filtering a PivotTable or PivotChart. Slicers allow you to always see what the filter state is at a glance and make filtering PivotTable data even easier.
Unfortunately there is no backwards compatibility to Excel 2007 and before for Slicers. Because of this, until Excel 2010 takes a larger hold of the market, Slicers will probably be an underused tool.
Create a Slicer
- Click on the Options tab under PivotTable Tools on the Ribbon
- Click the Insert Slicer button in the Sort & Filter group
- The Insert Slicers dialogue box appears. Check the boxes for the fields you want to create Slicers for and click Ok
- The Slicers are inserted onto your spreadsheet and hover above the grids like a chart or a picture. Filter the PivotTable by simply clicking a value in the Slicers. Hold down the Ctrl or Shift keys whilst clicking to select multiple values
Connect a Slicer to Multiple PivotTables
A major advantage to using Slicers is the ability to connect them to multiple PivotTables.
- Right click on the Slicer you want to connect to another PivotTable and click PivotTable Connections
- Check the boxes for the PivotTables you want the Slicer to filter
- Click Ok
Any filtering done using the Slicer will now affect all the PivotTables it is connected to.