Many people use Excel to create forms such as invoices, holiday requests and mileage claim forms. Excels’ various tools to enable calculations, powerful formatting and validation rules make it perfect for form creation.
This post provides a mileage claim form template that demonstrates many useful Excel features in all their glory. Please download and check it out.
Excel templates – Download the mileage claim form template.
The spreadsheet has both worksheet and workbook protection applied for improved functionality. It can easily be unprotected and explored though as no password has been used.
This spreadsheet makes use of the following Excel features;
- Data Validation has been used to create a drop down list of offices to select from, and also to select either own car or company car.
- A range name is used so that the Data Validation tool can access the list of office on the hidden sheet.
- The Vlookup function is used to return the distance in miles of the selected office
- If functions are applied to remove the #N/A error message from the Vlookup when the form is blank, and also to control when the calculation of expense is applied.
- Workbook protection is used to prevent the hidden sheet from being shown (however there is no password on the download so you can unhide it)
- Worksheet protection is used to lock the cells containing formulas and to generate a tab order making the form more user friendly to complete.